Science teaches an understanding of natural phenomena. It aims to stimulate a child’s curiosity in finding out why things happen in the way that they do. It teaches methods of enquiry and investigation to stimulate creative thought. Children learn to ask scientific questions and begin to appreciate the way in which science will affect the future on a personal, national and global level.
Our objectives in the teaching of science are to:
- ask and answer scientific questions;
- plan and carry out scientific investigations, with the correct use of equipment (including computers);
- know about life processes;
- know about materials, electricity, light, sound, and natural forces;
- know about the nature of the solar system, including Earth;
- know how to evaluate evidence, and to present conclusions both clearly and accurately.